This little church occupies the site of the first church in Florence, founded in the second century AD by Syrian Greek tradesman who settled in the area. It was restructured in the XI and XIV centuries.
Between 1736 and 1739 Ferdinando Ruggieri restructured it again, though he preserved the Portico done by Vasari (several works of art were moved to it) and the corridor from the Uffizi to Palazzo Pitti that passes above it. The interior has a single nave with pilasters that frame the side chapels.
The Cappella Capponi, designed by Brunelleschi for the Barbadori Family and thoroughly reworked in the 1500s (the traces of Brunelleschi's handiwork were discovered in 1936) has a number of works by Pontormo, including his best known, The Deposition and The Annunciation, which a recent restoration has revealed to be one of the great masterpieces of the 16th century.
For any information:
Chiesa di S. Felicita
Piazzetta S. Felicita (055 213018).
Open 8am-noon, 4-6pm Mon-Sat, and 4-6pm Sun.