This is one of the few samples of Baroque architecture in Florence. In 1645, Philippine fathers began construction of a new church in the area between Borgo dei Greci and via dell'Anguillara, where the ancient church of S. Lorenzo used to stand.
In spite of Giuliano de Serragli’s heritance, the high cost prevented the construction of the ambitious initial project. In 1668 the construction of a smaller church, dedicated to S. Filippo Neri, began. Its stone façade was completed in 1715, on a project by Ferdinando Ruggieri.
It was only between 1772 and 1775 the complex reached its actual size. Zanobi del Rosso built the new oratory on Borgo de’ Greci’s side, symmetrically reproducing the Ruggeri’s façade. The two buildings were then united by the monastery’s prospectus.
The three sections that compose the prospectus, from which a grand staircase departs, are the original church, the monastery and the Philippine fathers’ oratory. The monastery and the oratory are now the seat of the Tribunal of Firenze, which hosts the famous staircase by Zanobi del Rosso. The ancient oratory is now used as a judgement hall and is only opened in occasion of an audience.
For any information:
Chiesa S. Firenze
Piazza S. Firenze (055 290832).