This church faces Palazzo Antinori. It is mentioned in documents dating from as early as the mid-11th c. It was entirely rebuilt in the Baroque style after 1604.
The façade features two orders of fluted pilaster strips and is richly decorated. The steps leading up to the church were rebuilt in 1701 by Carlo Marcellini. The interior is one of the rare intact examples of Florentine Baroque; the church is laid out as a Latin cross with three chapels on each side.
Next to the chapels are marble statues of the Apostles and the Evangelists, with bas-reliefs showing scenes of their lives. The sculpture cycle was worked on by several artists, and is one of the most important 17th century Florentine cycles.
To the left of the church is the Antinori chapel, which was rebuilt by Gherardo Silvani following the expansion of the church.
For any information:
Chiesa di S. Gaetano
Open 8am-noon, 4-6pm.