The church was built in the second half of the XI century by the Vallombrosian monks, and included within the ring of city walls built in 1172-75. It was expanded and transformed according to the dictates of the Gothic style between 1300 and 1330; work was interrupted by the plague and resumed in 1365. It continued until 1405, perhaps following plans by Neri di Fioravante.
Despite the late sixteenth century stone façade built by Buontalenti, the interior of the church is 14th century Gothic, and is laid out in an Egyptian cross. It is divided into three aisles separated by pilasters that rise up to gothic archways and a cross-vaulted ceiling. During the restoration carried out following the 1966 flood the 'embellishments' added in the early 1900s were stripped away, returning the frescos of the chapels to their original splendour.
The fourth chapel on the right has Lorenzo Monaco's Saints, Prophets, and the life of Mary (1420-25), and his Annunciation; the frescos on the wall of the right transept and those in the Sassetti Chapel are among Domenico Ghirlandaio's greatest masterpieces (especially his Adoration; note also Santa Trinita as it appeared before Buontalenti's façade, in the frescos); the marble sarcophagus of the Federigi tomb is by Luca della Robbia.
For any information:
Chiesa di Santa Trinita
Piazza S. Trinita (055 216912).
Open 8am-noon, 4-6pm, holidays 4-6pm.