Palazzo Strozzi is one of the symbols of Renaissance architecture. Its creation was the idea of Filippo Strozzi 'the elder' who charged Benedetto da Maiano with planning a family residence that would be the envy of the Florentine nobility.
Construction began in 1489 and was directed by Simone del Pollaiolo, called Il Cronaca. Today the palazzo seems a fortress in the heart of the city. On a rectangular base there are two floors plus the ground floor, each divided by linear cornices.
One of its principle characteristics is the fidelity with which the canons of 15th century architecture have been respected in the realization of the façade: symmetrical and linear, in stone blocks that are coarse and rough-hewn on the ground floor and become progressively finer with each higher floor.
On the opposite sides, on piazza Strozzi and via Tornabuoni, rectangular windows surround the imposing entrances. Inside the arch is the stem of the Strozzi family.
On the ground floor it is also possible to see the splendid surroundings of Sala Ferri, which contains the Gabinetto Viesseux and the rich library of the Institute for Renaissance Studies.
The decorations of the first floor were designed by Pietro Berti and today form the background for the important exhibits that the Palazzo holds. The first floor is open only for exhibits, but the ground floor is always open.
For any information:
Piazza Strozzi (0552776461).