The Cenacolo of San Salvi is possibly the one that most easily lends itself to the transformation into a museum, with its fairly large interiors on the ground and first floors. It was part of a Vallombrosan convent and it passed to the Ladies of Faenza.
In 1511 a contract was drawn up with Andrea del Sarto for the decoration of the Refectory. Although commissioned at the beginning of his career, it was carried out slowly and was completed between 1520-25, a particularly fine period of the work of Andrea del Sarto (1486-1530).
Miraculously spared during the Siege of Florence in 1529-30, the fresco measures 5.25 x 8.71 metres and is placed under a large arch containing painted medallions with the Trinity and four Saints, protectors of the Vallombrosan Order.
Andrea's personality and background are evident in the fresco's innovations; he appears to be influenced by Leonardo, Dueren and the Roman work of Michelangelo and Raffaello, revealed in a work of magnificence and pre-baroque spontaneity.
For any information:
Cenacolo di San Salvi
Via di San Salvi (055 2388603).
Open 8.15am-1.50pm, closed on Mon.
Advance booking: Firenze Musei (055 294883).