The church has very antique origins; as a matter of fact, information about it may be found in a document of 12th century.
Originally its name was Saint Marco al Mugnone, because of its vicinity to the River Mugnone; after the construction of the well know church of Saint Marco it was named Saint Marco in Cafaggio and only afterwards it was called Saint Marco Vecchio.
Its location, on the borderline between the parish of Saint Giovanni and the parish of Fiesole, created great contrasts at the time until, in 1334, the church passed over to the league of the parish of Saint Giovanni in respect of the decision made by the Signoria of Florence.
The church shows very little of its original appearance because both the interior and the exterior have undergone great changes throughout the centuries.
The façade, made of stone, completely redone in 1894, could with great probability correspond to the original dimensions of the church when it had one aisle and it recalls the simplicity of a countryside parish in the Romanesque Age.
In 1932 there were ample changes: the octagon with the dome and the chapels were built. The bell-tower was added in 1945 and in 1951 the interior was enlarged by a second aisle. In this occasion an oratory, built in 1496, near the church was demolished.
The interior has two aisles; the one on the left belongs to the old establishment. The roof was built with trusses; on the left side the covering continues with a pitch sustained by a bent covering; two Latin inscriptions, which recall the year in which it was built (1932), are inserted in the internal and external pediment with classical types. The pavement was settled with black and white tiles.
For any information:
Chiesa di S. Marco Vecchio
Via Faentina (055 588274).
Open 8am-noon, 3-6pm.