Though the Church of San Marco was a parish church in 1300, it was subsequently assigned to the monks of the Silvestran Order, who built the convent. However, in 1435 they were accused of laxity and forced to relinquish their monastery, which was taken over by the Dominicans.
In 1437 Cosimo il Vecchio asked Michelozzo to restructure the complex, which was reconsecrated in 1443 by Cardinale Niccolò, Archbishop of Capua. The church has been modified repeatedly since then, according to the cannons of the Counterreformation from 1579 to 1600, and again in 1679.
The sacristy and the 15th century apse (accessible with permission) are by Michelozzo; the apse also has a sculpture of Saint Anthony attributed to Giambologna. The frescos of the dome were done in 1717 by Alessandro Gherardini who followed the drawings of Angelo Ferri. The façade of the church dates to 1777, and is by Fra Paladini.
For any information:
Convento di San Marco
Piazza San Marco (055 2396950).
Open 7am-12.30pm, 4-6.30pm, daily.
Admission: 4 euro.