Overlooking the Lungarno Corsini, this is an unusually large building for Florence. It is made up of three wings, which wrap around a courtyard.
The courtyard is closed toward the Lungarno by a fourth, lower wing of the building. Atop this fourth wing is a terrace that extends out to the side wings. Pier Silvani drew up the plans and began construction (1648-56).
It was continued by Alfonso Parigi, Pietro Tacca and Antonio Maria Ferri. Silvani also designed the spiral staircase inside. On the second floor you can visit the Galleria Corsini, one of the leading private art collections in Florence (founded in 1765).
Part of the allure of this collection is the fact that it still has the feel of a private art gallery set amongst the lavish furnishings of an aristocratic villa. The collection of paintings is centred on Florentine, Italian and European painting of the 17th and 18th c. with a few remarkable pieces of Renaissance art.
For any information:
Via del Parione 11.